Thursday, December 11, 2014

Week 80 - Here Comes Christmas

December has gotten off to a great start. As the Christmas spirit starts to become more active in people's lives, we're finding that people are a lot more willing to go out of their ways to help their brothers and sisters. One of the best examples we've seen this week has been from the members of the ward. On Saturday morning, we went to visit a less-active member and invited him to attend our ward's Christmas party that afternoon. He agreed right away, which was good, but it presented a problem in that he wasn't able to get to the church on his own due to his physical limitations. Thankfully, the members of the ward were more than willing to help their brother to come to church without a second thought. The first member we called was only able to get him there, but then had to leave for work shortly thereafter. Then, at the party, we were able to find several people who were willing to take him home after. Our less-active friend had a great time, and now has some new connections with the ward. This teaches me a couple things about service. First, in the case of the first member we called, always serve. Even if you can't be there to do everything that needs to be done, do what you can. Second, serve everyone. This less-active member didn't know anyone in the ward as far as I knew, and yet, these people in the ward were so ready and willing to serve him. As Christmas season starts, I hope I can apply these lessons from the ward.

One of the great experiences I had this week was while we were out finding in Strathfield. I prayed that Heavenly Father would send me someone who I could share the gospel with. A few minutes later three Koreans came up and talked to me. They were missionaries from another church. It was strange: Native Korean speakers preaching the gospel in English meet a native English speaker preaching the gospel in Korean. We talked for a while about how Jesus Christ has affected our lives and then started talking about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Of all of the finding experiences I've had so far on my mission, I can't think of any that made me feel so happy. I could feel the spirit telling that what I was saying was true. While they weren't too keen on much of anything I had to say, I felt like this was God answering my prayer to share the gospel.

The Holy Ghost has protected me from danger so many times. Both outward and inward problems have been avoided because of His guidance. He's protected me as I've begun driving again. He's helped me stay focused on missionary work. He's lifted me out of the pits of my own self-doubt and imperfection. The power of the Holy Ghost has filled my soul with so much joy and love as I've followed His promptings. I realize that part of that joy is the Holy Ghost telling you that the "idea" that you followed was really a prompting from Him. I honestly believe that I couldn't even say how many times the Holy Ghost has warned me of danger. I think that sometimes, instead of saying "don't go that way", He usually says in a much more gentle way "well, that other way looks pretty good, doesn't it? Why don't you just go that way?" and without me even knowing it, He's led me away from some thing that would have been destructive.
Preach My Gospel Chapter 9 has been a big help to me as I've tried to become a better missionary. It's not just about finding. Every part of missionary work can be helped by a study of Chapter 9.
Now we're going to study the chapter about teaching skills, Chapter 10. This chapter has helped me understand what it means to be a Christlike Teacher and a "Preach My Gospel" missionary.

Love,
Elder Clark

1 comment:

  1. So I'm guessing Hayden gave up on posting his lovely comments, tired of all that giving and none of us writing back. I'll work on that.
    Aunt Janice

    ReplyDelete