This week, we have been invited to start a "40-day fast". To put it simply, you start with a day of fasting. Then you make a list of any habit or behavior that may hinder your ability to have the spirit with you. After that, you pray and promise God that you will "fast" from those things for 40 days. Ask for His help, and change your behaviors to do (or not do, as the case may be) these things. Everyday, review your progress on each item in your prayers, and ask for help in order to do better.
I can see that it will be a great way to sanctify the work I do. I was able to start yesterday, and I'm still finding things to add my list. At first, I could not think of anything to write down, but as I've kept this 40-day fast in mind, I've been able to see what things I'm doing or usually do that may inhibit my ability to fulfill my responsibilities. This has helped me to recognize what I need to change.
We were teaching one of the new investigators we found this week, Hannah, about the plan of salvation. During the lesson, we were talking about faith when the lesson took a turn towards church attendance. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but I just decided to go with it. It was great to see her gain a bit more understanding of why we attend church and take the sacrament.
If I could give any advice to a new missionary, it would be that with patience, charity, diligence, and perseverance ,miracles will happen. We've been trying to meet with a part-member family for a long time, and this week, we were finally able to schedule an appointment with them. And this kind of thing is not a one-time occurrence. I've been able to see this principle in action throughout my service as a missionary. The scriptures tell us to "be not weary in well doing", because the things we do lay foundations for great things to come.
Another piece of advice that I would give is that when you do your best, and things seem hard, it's because your doing the right thing, and Satan wants to stop you. So just keep pushing on, and the day will come where good things will start to happen.
Last week, we finished reading Mosiah. In the coming weeks of reading, this new system of judges will face its fair share of challenges, but the Gospel of Jesus Christ will help it to continue and progress.I can see that it will be a great way to sanctify the work I do. I was able to start yesterday, and I'm still finding things to add my list. At first, I could not think of anything to write down, but as I've kept this 40-day fast in mind, I've been able to see what things I'm doing or usually do that may inhibit my ability to fulfill my responsibilities. This has helped me to recognize what I need to change.
We were teaching one of the new investigators we found this week, Hannah, about the plan of salvation. During the lesson, we were talking about faith when the lesson took a turn towards church attendance. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but I just decided to go with it. It was great to see her gain a bit more understanding of why we attend church and take the sacrament.
If I could give any advice to a new missionary, it would be that with patience, charity, diligence, and perseverance ,miracles will happen. We've been trying to meet with a part-member family for a long time, and this week, we were finally able to schedule an appointment with them. And this kind of thing is not a one-time occurrence. I've been able to see this principle in action throughout my service as a missionary. The scriptures tell us to "be not weary in well doing", because the things we do lay foundations for great things to come.
Another piece of advice that I would give is that when you do your best, and things seem hard, it's because your doing the right thing, and Satan wants to stop you. So just keep pushing on, and the day will come where good things will start to happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment